A make-up blog that disregards beauty ideals.

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Funky brows

I had better start by saying that I love a good brow. For my everyday make-up, I tidy mine up by plucking, brush through with a clear brow gel and use a pencil (or powder and slanted brush) to define them. They've got to be symmetrical and I prefer it when hairs are visible, not just a block of colour.

This black & white photo shows my natural brow shape quite well. The outer ends of mine aren't very well defined, so that's where most of my attention is focussed. I create a point rather than letting them fade out like they do naturally.

If you're a fan of editorial and fashion make-up, you've most probably realised that brows are often a pivotal point in shoots. Yes, they frame your face and create expressions, but in a high-fashion make-up shot they can be used to support a brilliant idea. Artists like Alex Box add beads and 'extras' to the brows and oftentimes they are the first feature that is sketched out.

A simple way to dip your toe into slightly more adventurous brows is by adding colour. I've got teal hair, so a bright brow doesn't seem too crazy. You could darken yours, or use Illamasqua sealing gel and a colourful eyeshadow to define them. Here I used bright colours to create an ombre effect. I wore it with a simple flicky eye, but (to be honest) if you're pushing the boat out you may as well go the whole hog and wear a bright shadow too.


Next, glitter. I used Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in Navy (a great staple) which is fully matte and pretty dark. Using a slanted brush and not much product left me with very defined, straight brows. Then, using Collection 2000's cheap liquid eyeliner in gold I painted little sections of hair, following the natural direction of its growth. Next I sprinkled gold glitter over the top, creating an encrusted brow.



And finally, SEQUINS. Simply sequins from the craft shop, eyelash glue and a mohawk. Done.



No comments:

Post a Comment