A make-up blog that disregards beauty ideals.

Saturday 14 June 2014

Twisted Sixties

Hiya! If you're wondering why I've not blogged much recently, it's because I've started a course at the Cassie Lomas Make-up Academy in Manchester, and now I know the meaning of the word 'busy'. I'm absolutely loving it, so I thought I'd share my favourite bit so far: sixties.

We've been researching all the distinct decades of make-up, and how important they are. Vintage is a huge trend right now, and my personal favourite is the sixties. Home of the mods, the time when the youngsters had a huge influence on fashion, and the time of the 2nd wave of feminism, the sixties was a huge decade. The LGBT movement and gay pride gained more acceptance, and the first transgender riot occurred in '66 in San Francisco.

Make-up was super-matte, chalky, and especially bold. Twiggy, Brigitte Bardot, Jean Shrimpton & Peggy Moffat were icons of the era, and rightly so. The drawn-on bottom lashes, massive cut-crease and thick liner was an ultra-cool statement, with pastel pink lips and minimal pale blusher. Brows were much more natural than the previous decades, and hair was huge.

So first I created a pretty true 60s look on myself.

White cream shadow base with Illamasqua Sex eyeshadow, Illamasqua gel liner and Illamasqua Obsidian shadow.

Then I quickly created a colourful version on Daisy, my model, using No7 liquid liner in Mermaid and a yellowy-orange MAC shadow.



Next I experimented with using different materials as false lashes, inspired by the artistry of Pablo Manzoni, a make-up artist from the sixties who used many different materials in place of bottom lashes. I was also inspired by Alex Box, Val Garland & Pat McGrath, fearless artists who regularly use paper, foam & craft materials on faces. These are made of paper from a brown envelope, cut out into long triangles and some I painted with black liner. I matched the light triangles with my NARS lid colour. I disliked the shadowing under the eye, so I decided to take a different approach.


My final look: jet black liner, pure white liquid highlights and harsh, geometric lines painted on. A grey-purple lipstick (Illamasqua's Posture) provides a twist on the traditional sixties pastels. To play up the matte face of the decade, I replicated it but used a sparkly blusher (NARS Super Orgasm) to add dimension.

Geometry features heavily on the catwalk this year; in Spring/Summer 14 there was a mod look at Missoni- a reversed cat eye by Lucia Pieroni. Tom Pecheux also created a floating stencilled triangle liner at Anthony Vaccarello.

Einat Dan, Lucia Pica, Linda Hallbergs and Stefanie Wilmann are all artists who inspire me with their geometric work.


And finally, this was my play on the flower power 1960s, using real petals as bottom lashes & bridging the divide between the early Mod movement and flower power natural look of the late sixties.

No comments:

Post a Comment